The Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Julius Genachowski, announced that the nation’s four largest wireless carriers—AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile—have all agreed to accelerate the availability of text-to-911. Major deployments will take place in 2013; the four carriers expect to provide nationwide availability by May 15, 2014. The objective of the new agreement is to provide over 90 percent of the nation’s wireless consumers, including millions of consumers with hearing or speech disabilities, access to emergency services via sending a text messages to 911. The local 911 centers, known as Public Safety Answering Points or PSAPs, will also be prepared to receive the texts. Text-to-911 will be a complement to, not a substitute for, voice calls to 911 services. The FCC notes that customers should always make a voice call to 911 during an emergency if they can.
In the press release on the agreement, Chairman Genachowski said, “Access to 911 must catch up with how consumers communicate in the 21st century—and today, we are one step closer towards that vital goal. Last year I announced a comprehensive plan to accelerate the transition to Next Generation 911, including text-to-911, and the FCC has acted to advance this effort.” Citing the devastating storms that impacted the United States in 2012, Chairman Genachowski also said, “We are working to strengthen the resiliency and reliability of the existing 911 system, where significant deficiencies were revealed by the summer’s Derecho.”
On November 21, Julius Genachowski announced that, “Beginning in early 2013, hearings will take place throughout the country in locations that have experienced major natural disasters, starting in New York.” The goal is to “examine new challenges to the nation’s communication networks in the wake of Superstorm Sandy, and help inform recommendations and action to improve network resiliency.”