EUobserver reports that the European Union’s Commissioner for Home Affairs, Cecilia Malmström, has told Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) that both the existing Dutch border mobile surveillance program and a new camera system to be launched on August 1 along the Belgian and German borders “does not contravene rules governing the EU passport-free area.” Commissioner Malmström was quoted as saying that: “The legal analysis conducted by the commission led to the conclusion that Dutch mobile surveillance does not contravene the Schengen border code.” Further, the commission pointed out that, “the Dutch surveillance systems are valid because the police checks do not have border control as an objective.”
The issue, as reported by EUobersever, revolved around a program that the Dutch royal military police had been conducting for a number of years along the border. “The aim, says the Dutch Minister of the Interior, is to stop crimes like smuggling, human trafficking, identity fraud and money laundering.” A new border surveillance system designed to augment the existing system, and called @migo-Boras, becomes operational on August 1.
“The system will use cameras placed along the borders to catch illegal residents and prevent irregular immigration. Fifteen fixed cameras have already been installed n 13 highways including two regional roads. Another six are mounted on military patrol cars. Vehicles passing into the Netherlands will be snapped. Information including the type of vehicle, color, country or region of origin, time and location of entry, will be permanently stored and categorized,” said Dr. Maarten den Heijer, a member of the Meijers Committee, an independent experts group.
The EUobserver reports also that there are “11 other cases” currently being tracked by the commission “it says may infringe EU border control rules.”